Cyanotype Photogram of orange tree flowers collected in m garden of Los Angeles (2019).
The cyanotype is a fantastic 19th-century photographic printing process: it is quite simple, elegant, and magic (camera-less, no ink involved!). But, above all, it is always blue, deep blue.
- Paper size (x3): 11 x 14 inches (27,9 x 35,5 cm)
- Printed on 140 Ib. (300 gr.) acid-free 100% cotton watercolor paper
- Signed and dated
- Limited edition (fresh pressed specimens)
- Cyanotype sold unframed
- Every cyanotype will arrive carefully protected with an acid free unbuffered tissue and a cellophane archival bag and packaged in extra-rigid fiberboard photo mailer envelope.
HOW I MAKE MY CYANNATYPES: 7 STEPS
1. I walk. I collect. I document. The herbarium is the archive of my walks (and memories).
2. I select the most exquisite quality watercolor paper (100% cotton, 140Ib/300gm).
3. With a hake brush, I hand-coat the paper in the dark with a chemical formula that only involves two compounds: ferric ammonium citrate and potassium ferricyanide.
4. The paper is dried in the dark and stored in a light-proof bag until its use.
5. When it's sunny (in Los Angeles this is all year round!) I place the paper under a specimen from my herbarium and cover it with glass to avoid specimen displacements.
6. The exposure takes a few minutes under the rays of the sun.
7. Merely washing the exposed photogram turns the exposed areas into a vibrant Prussian blue and makes the cyanotype permanent.
WHAT MAKES CYANNATYPES SO UNIQUE
As long as the specimens are not broken (the loss of a small delicate part of a leaf or alga can occur while handling), the image can be repeated from one copy to the next.
However, the hand-coating and specimen placement are unique every time, creating a one-of-a-kind finished photogram. This results in slight variations to the photos shown, making each print unique. This is part of the beauty of cyanotypes!
ADVICE ON THE CARE OF CYANOTYPES
The cyanotype process is among the most permanent of all photographic processes. However, cyanotypes are sensitive to alkalinity, and they should be stored in chemically neutral and unbuffered materials. Of course, I provide the appropriate archival supplies with each shipment!
Exposure to direct light should be avoided to prevent the image from fading, as well as excessive dryness. However, "faded" cyanotypes will regenerate if stored in the dark in moist conditions.
1-2 business days
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 6 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
1. Information I collect
To fulfil your order, you must provide me with certain information (which you authorized Etsy to provide to me), such as your name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide me with additional personal information (for a custom orders), if you contact me directly.
2. Why I Need Your Information and How I Use It
I rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
• as needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfil your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
• when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list;
• if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
3. Information Sharing and Disclosure
Information about my customers is important to my business. I share your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
• Service providers. I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as delivery companies. I will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
• Business transfers. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• Compliance with laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
4. Data Retention
5. Transfers of Personal Information Outside the EU
I may store and process your information through third-party hosting services in the US and other jurisdictions. As a result, I may transfer your personal information to a jurisdiction with different data protection and government surveillance laws than your jurisdiction. If I am deemed to transfer information about you outside of the EU, I rely on Privacy Shield as the legal basis for the transfer, as Google Cloud is Privacy Shield certified.
6. Your Rights
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases. I describe these rights below:
• Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the contact information below.
• Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict my use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where I am required to store data for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon request.
• Object. You can object to (i) my processing of some of your information based on my legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from me after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless I have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
• Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
7. How to contact me
If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me at email@example.com. Alternately, you may mail me at: Anna Fabra Raduà, c. Thous, 6-8, 5è 3a, 08024 Barcelona